1999; the year of chunky highlights, the introduction of the Euro €, and the launch of Bluetooth, also marked the beginning of Duncan Johns career as Managing Director of ION Science. In January 2024, we celebrate Duncan’s 25 years at ION Science.
Since joining the ION Science team, Duncan has significantly enhanced the company’s success through his extensive international sales and management experience across the gas detection industry. His core values, evident throughout the organisation, have become crucial in the triumph of ION Science.
Over the past 25 years, Duncan has been at the forefront of many of ION’s business highlights, including:
- 2002: Opening of the ION Science service facility in Vermont, US.
- 2007: ION Science launched MiniPID – our first series-4 PID sensor.
- 2010: Industry leader, Tiger handheld PID, was launched into global markets.
- 2013: ION Science opens its second facility in the US in Stafford, Texas, and relaunches as ION Science Inc.
- 2014: Titan, the fixed, benzene-specific monitor is launched and revolutionises the petrochemical industry.
- 2015: ION Science Italy office is opened in Bologna, and work commences in the UK for the construction of The Hive, HQ Office.
- 2017: ION Science relocated from The Bungalow to The Hive HQ; a purpose-built facility to accommodate the growth of ION Science.
- 2022: ION Science is awarded the prestigious Queens Award for Enterprise, in the category of ‘Innovation’.
- 2023: ION Science attained coveted ISO accreditations ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, alongside retainment of ISO 45001 and ISO/IEC 80079-34.
Throughout his 25 years at ION Science, Duncan has led the business from strength to strength and attributes this success to the company’s core values:
- have fun
- be committed
- be responsive
- be respectful
- embrace change
- challenge the status quo
Duncan embodies all of the company’s core values throughout everything he does; having fun, in particular, is prominent having integrated a culture of enjoyment and camaraderie into the workplace, recognising that a balance between working hard and playing hard not only fosters employee satisfaction but also enhances productivity and overall organisational success.
But what sets Duncan apart, is his ability to make every member of the ION global team feel valued. Duncan is a truly unique individual, with unwavering regard for the well-being of every member of the ION Family.
We would like to thank Duncan for his 25 years of dedicated commitment to ION Science. Duncan’s passion, care, and expertise have played an integral role in the success and growth of the business and we are truly fortunate to have such a compassionate and dedicated individual leading the global ION Science Group.
Congratulations on this remarkable milestone, and thank you once again for your outstanding service.